The West Haven Police Department actively recruits new
applicants to join our department.
We are an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and actively seek minority applicants.
Below are the Job Requirements
as well as details of our Hiring Process.
- You must be a Citizen of the United States.
- You must be 21 years of age by date of employment.
- You must have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- You must have the ability to perform essential tasks
required of a Police Officer.
- You must have a valid license is required at time of
application. A valid Connecticut license is required at time of
- You must be a non-user of tobacco products.
- You must reside within 20 miles of West Haven by date
Our Hiring Process:
In addition to the above job
requirements, applicants must complete and successfully pass the following
- Written Examination
- Personal Interview
- Fingerprint Examination
- Polygraph Examination
- Thorough Background check including drug screening.
- Physical Fitness Test
- Psychological Examination
Additional points are awarded to West Haven Police
applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Two (2) points will be awarded to residents of West
- Three (3) points will be awarded for honorable military
- Three (3) points will be awarded to a certified regular
Police Officer within two (2) years of the Officer's prior certification.
(The two year period must be within two (2) years of application deadline.)
- Three (3) points will be awarded to a West Haven Public
Service Officer after the completion of two (2) years of honorable service.
- One (1) point will be awarded to persons having an
Associates Degree, two (2) points will be awarded for a Bachelor's Degree, and
three (3) points will be awarded for a Master Degree and above. Degree's
must be from an accredited recognized institution.
All additional points will be added to an applicant's
final numerical score. Maximum amount of points to be awarded to any one
applicant is (5) five.
An applicant selected for employment will be required to
also complete the following:
- Complete Police Academy Training (currently 22 weeks)
at the Connecticut Police Academy in Meriden, CT (unless otherwise stated)
- Complete a mandatory minimum of 10 weeks observation/evaluation
period with a Field Training Officer after academy graduation.
- Complete a probationary "on duty" patrol assignment.
Top of Page